Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) in West Palm Beach, FL - Mandala
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is a form of addiction treatment that combines the use of medication, counseling, and behavioral therapies. The medications that are used in MAT help reduce the severity of withdrawal symptoms and drug cravings.
While medication-assisted treatment has received controversy in the past, this type of addiction treatment has been proven highly effective.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), MAT has been proven to: 
- Improve patient survival rates
- Increase treatment retention
- Decrease illicit opioid use and other criminal activity among people with substance use disorders
- Increase patient’s ability to gain and maintain employment
- Improve birth outcomes among women who have substance use disorders and are pregnant
Keeping this in mind, individuals who are struggling with opioid addiction in West Palm Beach should consider attending a medication-assisted treatment program.
What to Expect During Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) in West Palm Beach
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is a comprehensive treatment approach to addiction recovery. These programs cover all bases, including detox services, individualized therapy options, medication management, and aftercare planning.
Medically Supervised Detox
The first step in any addiction treatment program is detoxification. However, MAT programs ensure patient safety and comfort by providing a medically-supervised detox.
Medically supervised detox is similar to traditional detox, however, medications are used to soothe an individual’s withdrawal symptoms and prevent them from experiencing cravings. This is extremely helpful to people who are detoxing from opioids because their withdrawal symptoms and cravings can be severe. By providing patients with FDA-approved medications during detox, MAT prevents patients from having an unnecessary relapse.
Medications used during medically supervised detox to soothe symptoms of withdrawal include:
Once a patient has completed their detox program, they will move on to the therapeutic aspects of addiction recovery. Medication-assisted treatment programs in West Palm Beach rely heavily on behavioral therapy and group counseling to help patients recover from the psychological causes and effects of their substance use disorders.
It is important to note that MAT programs offer individualized therapy. Each patient will be thoroughly assessed to determine their treatment needs and goals. This ensures that every patient is receiving the support they need to fully recover from their addictions and any co-occurring mental health conditions they may have.
Common forms of therapy and counseling groups used in MAT include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Contingency management (CM)
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- 12-step facilitation groups
- Trauma-informed individual and group counseling
- Counseling groups specific to age, gender, substance use disorders, religions, spiritualities, and mental health conditions
- Family counseling or couples counseling
In addition to receiving an array of therapy and counseling services, individuals participating in MAT will have access to frequent doctor’s visits, medical care for health conditions, psychiatry, and medication management.
During treatment, patients have the option to take medications that prevent opioid cravings and stop opioid drugs from affecting them completely. These medications include:
Before individuals complete their medication-assisted treatment program, they will work with their therapist to create an aftercare and relapse prevention plan. In other words, they will be provided with all of the tools they need to maintain long-term sobriety outside of their treatment program.
Aftercare plans may include:
- Continued medication management
- Alumni support groups
- Continued individual therapy and group counseling
- Access to sober living programs and halfway homes
- Lists of triggers and positive coping mechanisms to use
- Recommendations for 12-step meetings and other sober support groups
Benefits of Medication-Assisted Treatment in West Palm Beach
Medication-assisted treatment centers in West Palm Beach provide patients recovering from opioid addiction with a comprehensive and individualized treatment approach.
By using life-saving tapering medication during detox, providing patients with behavioral therapy, offering social support services, and allowing individuals to use recovery maintenance medications, MAT programs set their patients up for success.
The main benefits of this approach include:
- Safety and comfort throughout detox
- Cost-effective treatment options
- Reduced risk of overdose and death
- Decreased drug cravings
- Increased treatment retention
- Improved social functioning
- Reduced risk of infectious disease transmission
- Reduced risk of relapse
- Lowered rates of drug-related criminal activity
Start Medication-Assisted Treatment in West Palm Beach Today
If you or a loved one suffer from opioid addiction and would like to begin a new way of life, medication-assisted treatment might be right for you.
At Mandala Healing Center, we offer our MAT patients access to medically supervised detox, behavioral therapy, group counseling, recovery maintenance medications, and relapse prevention planning. By doing so, we provide every patient with the tools they need to gain and maintain long-term sobriety.
Contact Mandala Healing Center today to find out if MAT is right for you.