How to Choose an Alcohol Detox Center in Palm Beach County
Alcohol is widely available and acceptable in many parts of American culture. From social gatherings and celebrations to corporate functions and sporting events, it’s common for people to drink alcoholic beverages.
While some people can drink moderately without severe consequences to their physical or emotional health, others develop an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. People who frequently drink excessively or struggle to control their drinking once they start may be diagnosed with an alcohol use disorder (AUD).
Each person with an alcohol use disorder has different needs and requires specialized care to help them reach their goals. The symptoms of AUD can vary quite a bit from person to person and range from mild to severe. It’s important to seek the level of treatment you need and find a treatment program to address any special requirements you may have. Many people begin their recovery journey in a medically-supported alcohol detox program. This essential care can ensure people get the supervision, treatment, and care they need to remain safe and comfortable during detoxification.
Reach out to the Mandala Healing Center specialists today to explore our alcohol detox center in Palm Beach County.
What Happens in a Palm Beach Alcohol Detox Program?
Alcohol addiction treatment happens in stages. Before you begin a treatment program, your doctor or an addiction specialist will assess your needs and recommend a level of care. The assessment will also determine if you need the support of a supervised detox program.
Detox is not considered treatment, but it is often a necessary first step toward recovery from an AUD. If you drink heavily or regularly, your body will develop a dependence on alcohol over time. If you suddenly stop drinking, you’ll likely experience withdrawal symptoms.
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms typically begin within 6 to 24 hours of your last drink and can vary in severity. Symptoms may include:
- Changes in heart rate and blood pressure
Sometimes, people develop a life-threatening complication of alcohol withdrawal called delirium tremens (DTs). When someone has DTs, their symptoms may include:
People who develop DTs require immediate medical intervention to avoid severe complications and death.
Patients in a Palm Beach alcohol detox receive round-the-clock monitoring and treatment for their withdrawal symptoms, making it more likely they’ll have a safe, complete detox.
- Medications to manage physical and emotional withdrawal symptoms
- Emotional support, including individual counseling when appropriate
- Nutrition support, exercise, yoga, music therapy, and other holistic therapies to keep you calm and comfortable during detox
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms may last for days or weeks but typically peak in the first 24 to 72 hours. Having 24/7 support and treatment during this critical time makes it significantly more likely that you’ll complete the detox process and be ready to begin a comprehensive treatment program.
Do I Need a Medically-Supported Detox?
Even if you do not have life-threatening complications, your withdrawal symptoms may make you so uncomfortable that you might relapse–meaning you may start drinking again after a period of abstinence.
It’s important to recognize the symptoms of alcohol abuse or dependence and seek treatment immediately. Some of the signs you may require the support of a Palm Beach alcohol detox include:
- Needing to drink more to feel tipsy or drunk
- Craving alcohol when you’re not drinking
- Wanting to stop drinking but feeling like you can’t
- Neglecting your hygiene, relationships, hobbies, and responsibilities
- Getting into legal or financial trouble because of your drinking
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms if you stop drinking
- Spending a lot of time getting alcohol, drinking, and being hungover
- Making dangerous choices while drinking, such as having risky sex or driving under the influence
- Continuing to drink, even if you understand the harm it causes
These symptoms may indicate that you are no longer in control of your drinking and require professional treatment to stop. In an alcohol detox in Palm Beach County, you’ll get the support and care you need to detox safely and begin your journey toward a healthy, sober future.
How to Choose a Palm Beach Alcohol Detox
There are many things to consider when choosing an alcohol detox in Palm Beach County. This part of Florida is home to a vibrant, active recovery community. You must consider your wants and needs when making this important decision.
Here are some things to consider while searching for a Palm Beach alcohol detox.
- Does it offer the level of care you require?
- Are the staff licensed?
- Is the detox center accredited?
- Does the detox center have a multidisciplinary team of doctors, nurses, addiction counselors, and more?
- Does the program use evidence-based therapies?
Look for the amenities you need to feel safe, supported, and comfortable during detox. These may include:
- Private or semi-private bedrooms
- Nutritious, delicious meals
- Holistic services like yoga, massage, and more
- Clean, comfortable shared spaces
- A welcoming environment
Before choosing a detox center, tour the facility if you’re able and ask any questions you have. Find out what a typical daily schedule includes, if you can have visitors, and what you can bring from home. The more you know about your treatment program, the more comfortable and confident you’ll feel about seeking the help you need.
Find Help Now
If you or someone you love struggles with alcohol abuse or addiction, contact the Mandala Healing Center staff to explore our Palm Beach alcohol detox programs. The help you need is just a phone call away. Don’t wait–call today to take the first step of your recovery journey.